Saturday 23 July 2011

Hoquei, Futebol, and Other Greatness

Ever since I decided that I want to move to Brazil, I have wondered what I would do without hockey to keep me happy.  One of my Brazilian friends was kind enough to track down  some hockey leagues in Brazil for me... and I've toyed with the idea of taking equipment with me, and convincing my friends to try playing with me.

After playing tonight, I'm not so sure if I will miss hockey.  But - I already know it's just a phase, and by next weekend I will want to play again.  Tonight, my lack of affection toward my favourite game comes from a sore hip.  I'm not sure if I sprained the muscles in my hip, or if it just needs a day or two to heal, but what I think my hip is trying to tell me is that I need to realize that I'm 32 years old, overweight, and not built like a goalie.  That's right.  I play goalie - and anyone who knows me well knows that I am NOT built to move like a goalie.  For my friends who are less acquainted with hockey, I'll post a video.  Now bear in mind - I'm playing ball hockey, not ice hockey - and I'm not Tim Thomas (the guy in the video).  But I'm sure anyone who watches will wonder what on earth possesses Bryan to make him think he can play that kind of game!


Yes folks - that's the kind of game and position I play, although much more clumsily, and with a lot less flexibility.

But... all that aside, I have realized that whether or not I take hockey with me, there will definitely be sports fanaticism to be had.  In reality, I think the Brazilians take it even farther than we do.  I've heard of people skipping work and school to see the Stanley Cup finals, but I've heard of whole companies and school classes being unattended for World Cup Futebol games.

I can't say that I really understand soccer beyond a very elementary level.  I'm not even sure if I like it.  But I already know what team I cheer for.  GALO!!!!  My team was chosen for me, but I like the choice.  I cheer for Atletico Mineiro, Os Galos, or The Roosters!


I am eager to experience the Brazilian sports culture, and learn more about it.  I am eager to go to friends' houses, and see their families get together and cheer for their teams.

On that note, that's something else that I want to see.  My extended family has always been quite close although increasing years and miles between us has eroded some of that closeness.  Still, we can pick up like old friends again.  That seems to be an oddity here in Canada, but it seems to be quite normal in Brazil.  I enjoy that kind of closeness, and I want to see it first hand.  I feel very privileged to have friends that want to take me to family gatherings so that I can get to know their aunts and uncles and cousins and parents.  Those welcoming arms are going to be very important when I find myself thousands of kilometers away from home.

I think I have chosen the right place to go to.  Any strange new country can be a hard place to go to, but I am learning that Brazilians can be very affectionate people.  Well, unless you're cheering against their futebol team of course.  So hockey or not, I will be going to a place with great new experiences, both sports and cultural, and wonderful new people and friends.

In the meantime, I'm going to rest this injured hip, and get ready for next weekend's craziness.  GALOOOOO!!!

6 comments:

  1. U would be better then Tim Thomas if you played in the NHL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha... thanks Ben! I don't know though - I got lit up pretty badly tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that your injury is not career ending!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope not too - I think it's probably just going to leave me with a sore Sunday and Monday though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey man! Im also gringo in Belo Horizonte! Originaly Im from Slovakia Europe and I miss playing ball hockey as well as you do :D!!! do you know any place here in BH where possibly I can play hockey???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey man! I'm not in Belo Horizonte yet - I'll be there after Christmas. I don't know where to play hockey, but I have a brasileira friend who will help me. When I know where, I'll let you know!

    P.S. any suggestions on where to look for housing before I'm there? If you know anything about the schools, I'll be applying for jobs when I'm there - any suggestions would help a lot!

    ReplyDelete