Tuesday 19 July 2011

Before the Journey

Hello to anyone and everyone who cares to read my blog.

I've created this blog to be my own journal, but anyone who finds it interesting is more than welcome to read.  Most people who have been in touch with me over the past year know that I plan to go to Brazil.  Assuming my visa and planning works out, I should be there after Christmas 2011.  I may post in English, or Portuguese, or sometimes both.

I still have a lot to prepare, but thus far, I have began learning Portuguese, and have tried to immerse myself in the culture - as much as I can from small town Southern Alberta.  So far I have learned that black beans can taste incredible if Canadians aren't cooking them.  I have learned that North Americans don't know how to barbecue.  I have also learned that Brazilians are incredibly friendly, very helpful - and very bad with time.  The women are extremely gorgeous and affectionate - and VERY sick of Galinhas (you - know - that guy who goes from woman to woman, and after he's gotten what he wants, moves on to the next one).

Despite a reputation of corruption, they also run their consulates far better than we do ours - but that's a long story.  That's not to say that their offices don't have their own problems too - I applied for my Cadastro de Pessoas Fisicas (CPF) in January, and supposedly the  Secretariat hasn't received my application yet.  I might have to reapply when I'm there.

All told, I have been very impressed with what I have learned so far.  Brazil sure has some of it's own downsides, but it has a lot of great things about it too.  It seems to be a country with a lot of potential.  I am eager to go there, the learn, and to hopefully adjust to living there.  So far, I am lucky enough to have already made friends with some very kind people who will help me settle there.

But man, does 5 or 6 months seem like a VERY long time!

3 comments: