Wednesday 21 December 2011

A Gringo in Belo Horizonte

Two days ago, the title of my blog became a reality.  I finally arrived in Brazil, and despite some difficulties, I made it to Belo Horizonte.  My parents drove me from Raymond at about 7 in the morning - my first flight was supposed to leave at 1:15pm, but it ended up being closer to 2:30.  The next flight, from Toronto to Sao Paulo - it also ended up being late - we arrived about 40 minutes late - and with a 90 minute layover, that just was not enough.  I'm very lucky that I have a very good friend here in Brazil - she helped me calm down, and waited at the Belo Horizonte airport - she ended up waiting at least 6 hours!

Now that I am here, I am starting to like the place, but I feel very much like a lost child.  The city is huge compared to what I am used to, and VERY busy.  My Portuguese definitely needs much work too.  However, I am currently staying with a lady who is a member of the LDS church - and she speaks very little English, but is very friendly, so I will get a lot of practice.  I am also very lucky - she works at a Brazilian barbecue restaurant, so I have gotten to eat some very good food.

My friend has taken me shopping a couple of times, and has been good enough to cook for me, so I definitely am very lucky - I'm very well taken care of right now (so Mom, quit worrying).  Right now, I am letting my body catch up.  The trip here was very demanding - I had a lot of heavy luggage, and had to do a lot more running around the airport than was expected, so my body is demanding I compensate it with lots of rest.  Soon however, I want to take some time, and do some walking around the neighbourhood, so I can get used to it.

The weather here is definitely much different.  It was raining quite a bit when I arrived, but the rain here is not at all like it is back in Alberta.  The rain was very warm and muggy.  Even now that it is sunny, the humidity is far beyond what I'm used to.  A word to any potential visitors - bring lots of short sleeved shirts!  And plan on staying at least a week to make the airport experience worth it!

The food.  I haven't had very much yet, but I had my first fresh mango, and fresh passion fruit!  I also found something every bit as good as Guarana Antartica... Mate Couro!


Anyhow, I'm off to relax!  Ate mais!

3 comments:

  1. Hello! Muito legal seu blog! Boa sorte e sucesso com tudo em BH! =] Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obrigado Pam! Desculpe que eu demorar repostar... Agora, tenho que voltar ao Canada, mas quero voltar ao Brasil mais tarde. Nao tive sorte em buscando um emprego aqui - mas talvez, a proxima vez, vou ir ao Natal, ou Salvador, ou Manaus, ou Patos... tenho amigos nestes lugares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =] I wish you the best of luck! feel free to add me on facebook "Pamela araújo" https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100000481223975 take care!

    ReplyDelete